Saturday, July 14, 2007

A Riddle for You...

Q: What is a church but not a church?

A: Any Christian church that isn't Roman Catholic!

It's interesting. Even during the Reformation, the Lutheran church was acknowledged as a church. Vatican II reaffirmed the need for ecumenism. Roman Catholics are right now engaged in on-going discussions with Lutherans about reconciliation on several fronts. Lutherans (the original protestant denomination) and Catholics have drafted, approved, accepted, signed, and celebrated the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification (JDDJ). You'd think that after they have written and approved joint declarations on doctrine, the Roman Catholic church would be a little more accepting of other religions.

Here's my opinion: I think that Benedict XIV sees how many people are leaving the RC church (I went to a Catholic school, many of my friends are Catholic, most of them do not go to church...ever), got scared, and as has been done in the past, threatened damnation to anyone who does not belong to the club. It didn't work during the Reformation, and I don't think it will work now. People left the Church even after they were told they would be excommunicated. But to those of us who truly believe that our Church teaches it doesn't really matter what others say, we know we are redeemed through the love of Christ. A love that knew no bounds even though, seemingly, the love of his Church knows many bounds.

My prediction: I think this will have the exact opposite effect that Bennie wants. I think that there are young people who, like me, believe in their religion but also see the validity in others' religious beliefs, and the necessity for them. It is my opinion that it is more important to truly believe something than it is to truly believe Christianity. There is something beyond...I do not understand Atheists in this regard...I cannot believe that there is nothing out there. I think (having spoken to many, many people about religion...I am a religion major) that this is the general opinion of most people my age who are believers...of something.

Just in case you have no idea what I'm talking about...

ELCA Presiding Bishop Responds to Vatican Statement on Nature of the Church07-125-JB
CHICAGO (ELCA) -- In response to a document released by the Vatican July 10, the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), said the statement does not appear to change the Vatican' ,resizable="1,scrollbars=1,top='+screen.height" 2+?,height="+screen.height / 2+" encImage.asp?link="3636','_blank','width='+screen.width" ELCA_News CO Scriptlib>

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- In response to a document released by the Vatican July 10, the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), said the statement does not appear to change the Vatican' ,resizable="1,scrollbars=1,top='+screen.height" 2+?,height="+screen.height / 2+" encImage.asp?link="3636','_blank','width='+screen.width" ELCA_News CO Scriptlib>

No comments: