Sunday, July 15, 2007

What I Think About in Church...

I think I may have killed my faith in church this morning. I let my mind wander as usual during the sermon this morning (sorry PC). And I realized something: our Christian faith teaches one of the most perplexing and hard to believe concepts ever in the whole creation of the world.

It teaches:
God the (sic) Father sent Jesus Christ [God the (sic) Son] to die for the sins of humanity. That is, by becoming human and dying, Jesus was the sacrifice for our sins. However, in the Bible (Psalm 51, perhaps...or something like that) says that God does not delight in burnt offerings, but in a repentant heart. However, God needed Jesus to die to atone for our sins? And besides, it's not like God didn't want to forgive us. We are told that forgiving our sins is what delights God the most. So, why would God the Father need to kill God the Son (for he surely could have stopped it, and therefore purposefully willed it into action) to forgive us? Why could he not just simply forgive our sins. I thought it was because he needed to know we accepted the forgiveness, or wanted the forgiveness, or believed in the forgiveness, but the more I think about it, the more I'm not sure. God loves all of his creation--we are told so. All we have to do is accept God's love in order to be (and I hate this word in this context) "saved." But, if God truly loves God's creation, surely God forgives us anyway--even if we don't believe. That is the true love that we are taught God has for creation: a limitless, unconditional love.

And on top of this, I'm starting to wonder why, if God truly forgave our sins through the death of Christ do we have to (at least in the Lutheran Church) ask for forgiveness on a weekly basis?

And it's thoughts like this one that remind me that I'm not as sure as I once was that I could be a pastor.

Many blessings!
JCM

No comments: